Lots of us would have changed our hair at least once. Some of us may have used a permanent hair dye or color or maybe a rinse for whatever reason. It could have been to make the grays go back to their original color or just for fashion, or maybe that they just feel like a bit of change and wants some highlights to their hair.
Although the results of hair color can vary, some are satisfied with the results they get from the coloring treatment while others end up with an unwanted mess atop their heads. Such misfortunes may be avoidable if the person wishing to dye their hair knows and understands some of the basics behind this hair treatment.
Prior to the treatment, the color of the dye and the type of dye to be used must be properly identified. The color of the hair, may it be natural or dyed will appear different under natural and artificial lighting. Often the shade of the hair’s color can differ slightly as a result of the light’s reflection on the hair.
These hair colors can also come in different types. Temporary hair colors do not penetrate the cuticle layer and are often used for special occasions such as parties, Halloweens or cosplays events and due to their unusual shades. These dyes are available with rinses, shampoos, gels, sprays, and foams.
Persons who are not professionals but want to change their color would opt to use the semi-permanent color. This type of dye does not last as long as the permanent dye and can change during washing of your hair, depending on the product that you would have used.
While permanent hair colors will not wash out, so as the hair grows, both the hair’s natural color and the shade of the hair dye will both be visible. To maintain a uniform color of the tresses, it is recommended that coloring treatments be done on a monthly or six-week basis.
Hair colors have designated levels and these levels are as well important to perfectly achieve the desired hair color. An essential computation is also essential in achieving the desired color and involves careful inspection and comparison of the hair’s natural and the real color versus the desired shade of hair dye.
A swatch book or ring is often used in this process to evaluate hair’s natural color and to identify match levels and tones in natural light. For instance, the desired color is Warm Blonde of level 8 and the natural color of the hair is light ash brown of level 6.
The target color level is multiplied by 2, using the example: Warm Blonde level 8 x 2 is equivalent to 16. Next step is to subtract the natural color level from the previous computation result: 16 – 6 (Light Ash Brown) equals 10. Therefore the level of color to be used in achieving a warm blond shade from a light ash brown is level 10.
If the total number for the level of color is thirteen and above, pre-lightening is necessary prior to the actual hair coloring. This is called double process coloring which must be done by a professional hair stylist.
A strand test and sensitivity are also required especially for first-timers in hair coloring.
The sensitivity test may involve applying the prepared dye solution on a certain body part to determine if there will be allergic reactions of the body towards the chemicals present in the hair dye. A strand test is performed to reliably preview the new color on the hair.
From this test, adjustments can be made to the hair formula to enhance or reduce undertones. Also, perfectly time the duration by which the color is allowed to stay on the hair before the excess is washed off can also impact on the end result as well.
Techniques and Tips On Hair Coloring
We (men and women) all color our hair for several of different reasons. We all use hair colors for various reasons. This may include covering up hair colors, change in looks or maybe coloring your grays; just to mention a few. Whatever your reason is for coloring your locks, there are several hair-coloring techniques available to consider.
When you understand the benefits of each technique, you can make a better decision as to which one will suit you the best.
Here are some coloring techniques to consider:
· Highlights- Adding highlights will brighten up and add color to your natural color or dyed hair. Shades of red, amber, gold and honey are the suggested colors to use with this technique. You have the option of applying highlights with permanent hair color or use temporary dyes that will wash out.
· Veiling- This technique brightens old looking flat hair color and enhances the look with a semi-permanent glaze of a richer tone over a permanent shade of color.
· Lowlights- Lowlights add depth that will soften the look of extra light hair and add dimension to hair that appears flat by adding darker tones to the existing color. Adding highlights requires the use of a weave cap. By foiling chunks of the hair through the cap, you can create a stylish dramatic look.
Weaving a few strands through the cap scattered throughout the hair will create a more subtle look.
· Twilighting- When you’re looking for a subtle change by lightening or darkening the hair, consider twilighting. It’s similar to low lights by toning down bright hair colors but it will also brighten up the color that is too dark.
· Chunking- Make a dramatic impact on your hair by adding bright trendy colors to your natural hair color by randomly infusing large sections of the hair with a new color.
The process used in coloring hair will depend on the hair coloring technique used. Here are the three main options available.
· Foiling is the process of placing sections of the hair onto a rectangular sheet of foil. The foil is folded after the color or lightener is applied to keep each section separated and in place. This method gets closer to the roots than any other process.
· Weave caps are used when adding highlights or when low-lighting or twill lighting hair. The stylist will pull small strands of hair through the cap and apply color, creating a subtle change to your hairstyle. It works great to camouflage roots that grow back after applying permanent hair color.
· Baliage works best with wavy, naturally curly or textured hair. Specific areas of the hair are selected and hand-painted with a specific color creating a unique and dramatic effect.
Before attempting the process of Baliage or any other technique, consider consulting a hair care professional. She can tell you if it’s the right process for your particular type of hair and make suggestions for what would suit you the best.
Hair Coloring Information
It is recommended to purchase hair dyes and coloring from reputed companies that are using good quality, natural and green dyes. However, if you really want to color your hair a unique shade, you can do it yourself. But, you need to know how.
One way to have a permanent hair color is to have the services of a salon. Apart from providing the necessary guidance, the stylists there are also well informed about the permanent color trend. You can even request them to provide you with a sample color so that you can choose the most suitable one for you.
There are four types of hair colors – black, blue, green, and ammonia. Among these, the black color is the most popular. Black hair colors contain more ammonia than other shades, and it is also the strongest cuticle inhibitor. This means that your hair will remain black, even after it is bleached or dyed.
In case, if you are interested in having a shade that is less strong and more natural, you should opt for the semi-permanent hair dyes. These are cheaper and are the first choices of many women. The only disadvantage of semi-permanent hair colors is that it is not possible to remove them easily.
Some of these shades may even cause dermatitis or rashes to your scalp. But, on the positive side, these types are long lasting and have no side effects.
The permanent hair colors contain a lot of chemicals and are more expensive than the temporary hair dyes. They also last longer, but they are very costly and they cannot be removed easily.
It is not possible to remove them with ease. It takes a lot of time and effort to fade these types of dyes. Another disadvantage of this type of dye is that it dries very quickly; it fades away very soon after you apply it.
You can select from a range of hair colors available in the market. The personal choice of the person matters a lot. If you are the creative type, you can create your own combinations of hair colors. However, it is not an easy task. Therefore, before selecting the hair dye, it is very important to do the proper research regarding the subject.